Bill Johnson wrote on 9/6/2023 6:27 AM:
[...]  AI is the future. [...]

FSV "future".  Who remembers the "Parry" program from the early 1970s?  At SAIL, later renamed to SU-AI.  Oh, if you weren't on the ARPAnet circa 1973, you probably never saw Parry.  It was the first AI program I knew about.  I don't remember which famous computer science guy said this, but there haven't been and will never be any "significant breakthroughs" in AI -- all progress will be slow and incremental.  I say that recent apparent advances in AI are more due to faster cheaper computers and storage, and now the Internet, than to any new software tech.

/Leonard