> On 1 Nov 2023, at 10:34 am, Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:48:03 +0800, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, OMEGAMON is a Rocket product. I know that because I work on it.
>> So is SDSF, RMF, DB2 utilities, DB2 connect, IMS tools etc, etc.
>> IBM have the core subsystems but the critical tools are owned by vendors.
>
> It's sad that IBM is selling off assets. These tools have OEM alternatives
> which are equally robust. IBM must not consider these critical tools part of
> their strategic vision. It sounds like they are letting OEM vendors do the
> hard work and deal with the competition.

It’s not sad at all. IBM would rather spend their development budget on new
ventures like hybrid cloud and AI/ML. They also purchased Instana which is a
great product. I work with IBM to feed it metrics from OMEGAMON. The tools are
in good hands. When Rocket acquired the products the developers came with them
so we have lots of ex-IBMers in the company with world class skills.

> Are these vendors able to market and sell these products or does everything
> go through IBM.

There's no point. IBM have the marketing power and customers would rather buy a
product with support from IBM. It’s been this way for years. I’ve worked on IBM
products for the last 25 years without ever working for IBM.  HCL own all the
PD tools like File Manager, Fault Analyzer and lots more. 21st own plethora of
products sold by IBM.

Rocket have their own products for cloud tape storage that they sell direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mntBk32iI.