From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 2, 2023 12:01 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Assembler programmer wanted

What I actually meant is "high for this recruiter".  Enterprise Solutions has
mostly Indians working their phones, and I expect they hire mostly Indian
contractors for low rates.  I've never worked for them so I may be doing them
an injustice.  But the few times I've talked to one of theirs on the phone, I
heard plenty of other voices on other phones in the background, so I picture a
large collection of desks in an open room with no cubicle walls.  And usually
they're talking lower rates, although it's mostly for COBOL developers.

On the other hand maybe it's just a negotiating tactic.  There are several
differences in the way Indian and Yankee recruiters approach me (and I assume
everyone else too); maybe lowballing is just one of the ways they're used to
doing business, with the assumption that they'll have to go higher to actually
close the deal.

...$125/hr, really?  I should maybe pay more attention to the advice a fellow
contractor gave me a couple decades ago.  I was working for ... well,
apparently you would regard it as peanuts although it's always been adequate
for me.  But Joe said I should demand $250/hr.  I'd work only about a third of
the time, but since that's about three times what I typically was getting, it
would come out even - and in the slack periods I could work on some saleable
project.  I understood what he was saying; I just couldn't find a way to say
"$250/hr" with a straight face.

Maybe that's a common foible.  My ex made really high-end decorated cakes, the
sort that we saw going for $150 and up at state fairs; but she couldn't bring
herself to ask more for her work than the cost of materials.  She just couldn't
believe her work was worth it.

---

/* Important safety note:  If you are explosively decompressed to vacuum, open
your mouth and exhale immediately.  (Fortunately, screaming in terror has just
this effect.)  -Geoffrey Landis and S J Van Sickle on sci.space.tech */