From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Billy Ashton
Sent: 14 December 2023 15:44
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Can this be done?

Hey everyone! I have a little down time here at the end of the year with our
freeze, and I wanted to play with some ideas I have had.

I would like to write a program that can open any kind of file - PDS,
Sequential, Panvalet, loadlib, and maybe even VSAM components. I want to open
the file in "raw" format, as if I were going straight to the disk pack and
scooping up the bytes from the beginning of the allocation to the end.

Is there any way to do this without caring about the catalog RECFM?
Obviously, the easiest way is through some JCL parameter that says "force as
PS" but I doubt that is likely. I can't go into more detail at present, sorry!

What do you think?

Thank you and best regards,
Billy Ashton