We use EXCP for the I/O to our DB and when customers incorrectly allocate
it as an extended format DS we fail with a S213-B8:

B8An OPEN was attempted against an extended-format data set with a DCB that
specified EXCP. EXCP is not supported for extended-format data sets.

Mike Shaw
MVS/QuickRef Support Group
Chicago-Doft, Ltd.