From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2024 5:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: allowed characters in member name

On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:50:07 +0000, Gibney, Dave wrote:

>DCB for the subparameters as been depreciated and, in my opinion, bad form for
>most of the 40 years I worked on mainframes. The DCB=modeldscb form used for
>new GDS allocations hasn't been needed since SMS came along. Early 90s'?
>I may recall wrong, but I think LIKE was new with SMS.

Formerly needed; now deprecated.  Why was it ever needed?  I suspect the change
was less to accommodate SMS than UNIX files, which support attributes but no
DCB.

Answering my earlier question (IRTFM):
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=parameter-examples-like>
    Example 2
    //SMSDS7  DD  DSNAME=MYDS7.PGM,LIKE=MYDSCAT.PGM,DISP=(NEW,KEEP),
    //          LRECL=1024
    In the example, the data set attributes used for MYDS7.PGM are obtained from
    the cataloged model data set MYDSCAT.PGM. Also, the logical record length of
    1024 overrides the logical record length obtained from the model data set.

--
gil