From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Steve Thompson <ste...@wkyr.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2024 8:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: allowed characters in member name

Going back to hazy memories...

GDGs needed the DSN specified, and the DCB info DCB=(dsn,....) so
that the allocation routines would correctly set the DSCB info
for the data set by getting the LRECL, RECFM, etc. so that
allocation would have all that. I'm not sure that DFP V3 fixed
this, or SMS or what. But I remember having to remember to do
these things back in the day, for SMF tapes and the like, when
doing the initial allocation for a GDG generation data set (GDS)
(+1, etc.).

Steve Thompson