You wrote:  I had the remarks/comments after the Continuation character (-).

Sure enough, when I did that, it worked.

It's unusual, having to add an un-necessary line split just to add a comment. I
was expecting it to work more like IDCAMS, TSO or JCL.

I searched for every # in the the DFSORT Application Programming Guide to
verify that ICETOOL line comments are not documented.

Thanks again for your help figuring this out. I'm updating our DFSORT and
ICETOOL training course materials. The examples will be more readable now!

Regards,
Bob Stark