>> It's unusual, having to add an un-necessary line split just to add a
>> comment. I was expecting it to work more like IDCAMS, TSO or JCL.

What is stopping you from doing coding like this?

//TOOLIN   DD *
* Enter ICETOOL operators here *

* COPY INPUTA TO OUTA
  COPY  FROM(INPUTA) TO(OUTA)

* COPY INPUT1 TO OUTB
  COPY  FROM(INPUT1) TO(OUTB) USING(ALAS)

* COPY INPUTX TO OUTC
  SORT  FROM(INPUTX) TO(OUTC) USING(ALAK)
/*

>> I searched for every # in the the DFSORT Application Programming Guide to
>> verify that ICETOOL line comments are not documented.

Not sure where you looked but it is documented here

ICETOOL can be called directly or from a program. ICETOOL allows operator
statements (and comments) to be supplied in a data set or in a parameter list
passed by a calling program.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=overview-icetooldfsort-relationship

>> I was expecting it to work more like IDCAMS, TSO or JCL.

/*  comment is valid for JCL but not valid for IDCAMS SYSIN as it would signal
the end of input.

Ie
//SYSIN    DD *
  LISTCAT ENT('HLQ.MLQ.TLQ') ALL
/* COMMENT-1 */
 LISTCAT ENT('A.B.C') ALL
/*

The second listcat command would NOT execute

So you have to move the comments to position 2 or greater also you need to
enclose them between /* and */

//SYSIN    DD *
 /* COMMENT-1 */
 LISTCAT ENT('HLQ.MLQ.TLQ') ALL
 /* COMMENT-2 */
 LISTCAT ENT('A.B.C') ALL
/*

Every utility has its own rules and DFSORT has the most flexible rules. You
just cannot compare to other utilities.

Thanks,
Kolusu