Cross memory and the resulting non-reusable ASIDs have only been around
since 1981.  The field name ASVTAVAI
predates that.   Since 1981, ASVTAVAI just means that the ASID is not currently
in use for an active address space.
It does not mean that it is available for reuse, since in may be in a
nonreusable state.

  The IEA_ASIDS check should show you all of the ASIDs that are nonreusable in
the IEAVEH012I and IEAVEH001I messages,
even more than an hour past the time when they became nonreusable.  ASVTAVAI
will be on for those ASIDs.

>The IEA_ASIDS check definitely caught the problem when it happened.
>Unfortunately, the check runs hourly and all of the the ASIDs were consumed in
>the span of the hour between runs.

>I did run the IEA_ASIDS in verbose mode and as I recall its output roughly
>corresponded to ASIDLIST's output.

>We think we know which program was the culprit but we'd like to understand why
>so many ASVT entries had ASVTAVAI set (meaning they're available) but the ASVT
>said so few were available.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp. Poughkeepsie NY