From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <00000587168ababf-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2024 9:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Algol

I did a lot of coding in Algol during my time at a local University in the late
'70s.  My impression at the time was that it had a serious paucity of built-in
functions, but that it enabled me to write my own and make them easily
available to my programs.  So I stuffed a library full of I/O and
string-handling functions and got along just fine, it seemed to me.

Haven't encountered it since; I don’t know what advances may have been made in
that arena.

---

/* That sort of wit which employs itself insolently in criticizing and
censuring the words and sentiments of others in conversation is absolute folly;
for it answers none of the ends of conversation.  He who uses it neither
improves others, is improved himself, nor pleases anyone.  -Poor Richard’s
Almanack, 1756 */