From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Rupert Reynolds <rreyno...@cix.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 2:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Hmm, 3 ... (Re: Rexx numeric digits and scientific notation
question

It's too soon to publish much, especially when I have a full time job doing
something else. To be honest I probably never will, because it only suits
my pet bigotries :-)

But briefly, I looked at day 1 notes (on back of a gas bill). They included
these, not all of which will ever make it into use of course:

. fairly terse {} syntax, borrowing from 'C' etc.

. strongly typed by default

. one type is bignum--arbitrary precision and base arithmetic, trig, logs

. correctness and flexibility more important than speed (like external
functions in Rexx scripts, for example)

. project to include thorough test cases, and any bugs/unintended quirks in
either impl or tests will be fixed ruthlessly, not supported. If it fails
the test, it is not the real thing.

. compiled code could include interpreter for scripting

. preserves case, but keywords and functions etc. not case sensitive

. all keywords can be abbreviated (eg. if min abbreviation is 3, 'fun' is
same as 'function')

. '=' not required for assignment!

. ability to convert 'C' style strings and call 'C' code

. all built-in functions for handling null-terminated data and UTF-16 to be
prefixed gk_ (short for "ghastly kludge" ;-) )

Feel free to laugh/crjticise, but please be kind--I was drinking during
lockdown when I finished that list :-)

I made some progress on the bignum logarithms and trig early, borrowing
heavily on the external Rexx functions I used under Windows.

It does basics such as finding and moving files interpreted, so I can use
it to test my Rexx admin scripts, and vice versa, but there are *huge*
gaps, and I'm moving house this year, so... :-)

Roops