At a prior life, we got the zEDC cards on a z15, and turned that on for PS
datasets.  But like you, we quickly learned that PS datasets opened for in/out
processing (update in place) did not work.  As a compromise, we narrowed down
to new PS GDG datasets.  Also we looked at new PS GDG datasets over a certain
size.  We picked an arbitrary number of tracks/cylinders to apply the zEDC
compression to.  Once we did that, our production job abends disappeared and we
started seeing a reduction in space usage on the storage groups where these
datasets were being allocated on.

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.