Thanks for that.  We do have IAM here, we’ll open a ticket with BMC asking
about support.   I was just doubting since it presents to the OS as a VSAM
dataset.

We were hoping to make ZEDC “inclusive” as in everyone gets it to reap the
space reduction, and job performance improvements and that the OS would decide
for us if a particular dataset that has the DATACLAS assigned to it would just
ignore, but that wont be the case.

I have the ability to code ZEDC_preferred or ZEDC-Required.   Required will
actually fail the allocation, which I don’t want to either, but I also don’t
want to use non-accelerated compression either.

So, now as you pointed out, we’ll have to approach ZEDC as “exclusive” and only
opt-in file types that are supported like GDG’s for sure.   We may roll the
dice on all PS, exempting temp datasets and ISPF work datasets, and more as we
stumble upon other incompatibilities.

With knowing the technical details, I think IBM missed the boat here.   ZEDC
ought to be a drop-in replacement for compression, period.  I can specify
COMPACTION YES for VSAM files but ZEDC wont touch them.   Why?

Dave Jousma
Vice President | Director, Technology Engineering