I remember some releases ago of z/OS that the system will effectively do an OPEN if a DSN is created using IEFBR14. But now I can't seem to find where that is documented. So far I can't find it in the z/OS 2.2 or 3.1 JCL User's guide.

I think that if the allocation specified the DCB info (LRECL, RECFM, and blksize) that this would be put into the VTOC when IEFBR14 was used to do the allocation.

So in a case like this, would the last ref date be "empty"?

Steve Thompson