Hi Scott,
You have confused le options and cobol options. Data(31) is a cobol option
specified on the compile. All31(on) is an le option and as a large shop I can
tell you that all31(off) is the result of a large body of application code that
some of it wouldn't work by changing this option. The business case for
changing the applications that would break with all31(on) couldn't be
justified.

Any application that wants  to run all31(on) can supply an le ceeuopt.

Doug