From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John Gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: To recompile or not recompile, that's the question

Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

<begin extract>
I think that IBM has no tolerable choice in this. Clients have major
investments in functional software, and I can't see them rewriting solely for
modernization, and I cannot see IBM forcing the issue.
</end extract>

and I am sure that he is right about how most of IBM's mainframe customers view
this issue.

What also needs to be understood is that these views are very odd ones indeed.
Applications do not begin to stink so soon as fresh fish, but they do not age
gracefully.

As they age maintenance costs for them rise sharply, and this has a peculiarly
unfortunate consequence.  Force-majeure maintenance, made necessary by changed
regulatory and reporting requirements, absorbs all of the available resources.

Not much is left for new or enhanced features, and in the upshot the users of
these old applications come to view the IT departments responsible for them as
unresponsive to their needs.

I have never encountered an application more than ten years old that did not
have a bad, musty smell; and the crackpot realism that avoids
revisiting them is killing the mainframe.   z/OS is a superb vehicle;
the hardware on which it is executed is many orders of magnitude more reliable
than anyone's PCs; the uses being made of these facilities are mediocre or
worse.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for
the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the
use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and
immediately.