jwgli...@gmail.com (John Gilmore) writes:
> I am prepared to concede that IBM evolves.  Some of this evolution is
> admirable, some not; but it is important to remember that not
> corporations buy people write text.  Some write English or another
> language well, and some do not.  Merriam-Webster takes the view that
> usage is all, that current usage is a fortiori legitimate usage.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013h.html#39 Why does IBM keep saying things like
this:

in the 70s, IBM got a wide-spread reputation for FUD ...  part of that
is obfuscation and misdirecting the discussion away from principle
issues (raising issues extraneous to subject at hand). this and several
other references that search engines turn up
http://changingminds.org/techniques/resisting/fud.htm

reference is it really gaining hold with IBM marketing people in the 70s
as countermeasure to Amdahl's clone processors. This discusses
Amdahl's advanced computer project at IBM. IBM executives shut it down
because they were afraid that it would advance computing too fast and
they would loose control of the market (bottom of the article
discusses features from ACS showing up more than 20yrs later in
es/9000):
http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/acs_end.html

Amdahl leaves and starts his clone processor company. IBM then starts
the Future System project that was going to completely replace 370
(and completely different and incompatible with 370). During the FS
period ... 370 efforts were being suspended and/or killed off. The
lack of new 370 products during the FS period is credited with giving
clone processors a market foothold. That also explains marketing
having to finely tune its FUD skills .... because of the lack of
competitive products. posts mentioning FS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

When FS implodes (after spending billions of dollars w/o even being
announced), there is mad rush to get products back into the 370
product pipelines. One of these is 303x ... 3031 is 158-3 with new
covers, 3032 is 168-3 with new covers, 3033 is 168-3 logic remapped to
20% faster chips ... originally being developed for FS. In parallel
with 3033, 370-xa and 3081 work starts. 3081 is leveraging some other
poorly performing left over FS technology. This discusses how really
badly 3081 compared to competition
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

It wasn't until you get to 3090 that you have really new technology
... and it isn't until es/9000 that you get back to advanced
computing. During much of this time, about the only thing that marketing
had to fall back on was developing and practicing its FUD skills.