In defense|defence of IBM's use of 'actionable' Timothy Sipples has
used recognition by a Merriam-Webster dictionary of the sense 'capable
of being acted upon'.

The single example he cites is semantically contaminated by its
law-enforcement/legal context, but for his purposes this is not
perhaps a fatal defect.

We must all choose our own authorities, and he has every right to
choose his.  I, however, prefer the OED because it includes quotations
over long periods of time that permit me to judge the contexts in
which a word has been used and its connotations in those contexts.
There 'actionable' in his/IBM's sense has no respectable antecedents.

I am prepared to concede that IBM evolves.  Some of this evolution is
admirable, some not; but it is important to remember that not
corporations buy people write text.  Some write English or another
language well, and some do not.  Merriam-Webster takes the view that
usage is all, that current usage is a fortiori legitimate usage.

My view is different.  I can perhaps best summarize it by borrowing an
example from E. B. White, who observed that while those who use the
English-language verb 'to personalize' should be free to do so, they
should not perhaps be equally free to teach English to others.

Finally, of course, we are dealing here with matters of taste.  In his
post Mr Sipples wrote

"True, definition #2 is not as old as definition #1."

in conformity with much current usage, where the canons of standard
English dictate, and I should have written,

True, definition #2 is not so old as definition #1.

He is certainly free to do this.  Again, as he has repeatedly, he is
free to use data as a singular noun.  Equally, I am free to judge his
use of such constructs, favorably or adversely.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA