John Gilmore writes:
>"Get Actionable Insight with Security Intelligence for Mainframe
>Environments"
>is a good deal more offensive than a porous statistic.
>It sounds significant, bit it is pretentious nonsense.  Properly,
>'actionable' is a lawyer's term that means 'open to legal action,
>characterizing something that one can take legal action/bring suit
>against'.

According to Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ACTIONABLE
1 : subject to or affording ground for an action or suit at law
2 : capable of being acted on <actionable information>

Examples of ACTIONABLE
We've received actionable information that the men are hiding in these
mountains.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actionable

Merriam-Webster does not presently consider definition #2 to be slang,
colloquial, or in any other way nonstandard English. IBM is grammatically
correct here. Moreover, couldn't IBM (also) mean definition #1? :-)

True, definition #2 is not as old as definition #1. The English language
evolves. Sorry about that. Thank goodness IBM evolves too.

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com