On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:05:16 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:

>This is not correct, Paul.  The data would be extracted using GIMUNZIP,
>and AFAIK, they are not encoded with GIMDTS.

I'll stand corrected for relying on outdated or incomplete information
or poor memory and inexperience.  We've never packaged UNIX
files for SMP/E installation.

Reading further, the only mentions of UNIX files are in (abridged):

11.7.2.2 <FILEDEF> Tag syntax

 README
    indicates that the associated file is a sequential text data set or a file
in the UNIX file system that is intended to be viewable text after it is placed
in the package. These files are not placed in archives by GIMZIP and are not
compressed. ...

SMPHOLD
    indicates that the associated data set or file contains SMP/E HOLDDATA
statements. ...

SMPPTFIN
    indicates that the associated data set or file contains SMP/E modification
control statements (MCS). ...

I suppose that if GIMZIP does no syntax checking any UNIX file can be called
either
SMPHOLD or SMPPTFIN.

>>It all depends on whether the intended recipient has
>>access to SMP/E and is authorized to perform an APPLY (APAR IO11698).
>
>Nope.  It requires that the recipient be authorized to use GIMUNZIP.

Does this still require specific RACF authorization, as per APAR IO11698?

Are you, or anyone, actively using GIMZIP as a generalized interchange
technique, independent of SMP/E?

And we don't know whether the OP's requirement was motivated by
a need to interchange with non-Z platforms.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:01:56 +0000, Barkow, Eileen wrote:

>You need to  download the jzos samples from http://www.dovetail.com/

I don't find it there.  And it's strange that IBM should supply
documentation for a Dovetailed product.

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:55:15 -0500, Norbert Friemel wrote:

>"Sample JZOS Java programs" @
>http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/tools/java/products/jzos/overview.html

I see several utilities there, but not ZipDataSets.

Thanks,
gil