From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 9:35 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: free zIP/UNZIP in z/OS

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:55:23 +0000, Barkow, Eileen wrote:

>Check out the sample zip program supplied with JZOS -
>com.ibm.jzos.sample.ZipDatasets in jzos_sample.jar.
>
>it works with both MVS and unix files and the best thing is that for
>MVS input files, only the  high level qualifier has to be specified in the
>parm field (no DD statements) and all files beginning with that HLQ will be
>zipped into 1 archive.
>And the archive file is in the right code page to work with pc products like
>pzkip.

Interesting.  In fact, I see:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/zos/javadoc/jzos/com/ibm/jzos/sample/ZipDatasets.html

... many wildcarding options; not merely HLQ.  And it will operate on DDNAMEs.
For that I'd suspect _BPX_SHAREAS=MUST is required.  "Datasets are treated as
text ..." might be a restriction in some cases.  No load modules?

-- gil