efinnel...@aol.com (Ed Finnell) writes:
> I remember the 'security paper' CIA published after MVS got B1 rating.
> There was a tuning paper that came out about the same time. One was green and
>
> one was yellow. Anyway, long story short, last paragraph in security report
> says
> "if it's attached to a network none of this applies"

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#3 Ported Tools - Unix
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#10 EBCDIC and the P-Bit
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#11 EBCDIC and the P-Bit

the science center did a port of apl\360 to cp/67-cms for cms\apl and
made it available on the science center cp/67-cms system (in addition to
marketing to customers).

cms\apl opened up apl to real-world applications with both virtual
memorye sized workspaces (most apl\360 systems limited workspace size to
16kbytes) and system call APIs (being able to do things like file
opertaions). remote users in armonk started using it for business
modeling and loaded the most valuable and holiest of corporate assets on
the science center cp/67-cms system.

this required some security considerations since the science center
allowed remote dialins and access by staff and students from educational
institutions in the boston/cambridge area.