Actually I would say its that the Operating system has been in
'development'/available for more then 50 years.

more time to get it right.

Then is the aspect that in the earlier years there was less of a push for
getting out the door, because there was not the same level of competition.

The aspect of the Character set (codepage) would have little effect. If
there was money to be had, Hackers would try to get at it.

On 2013-06-21 10:00 AM, Roland Kinsman wrote:

So, this is going to sound extremely naïve, but I wonder if having EBCDIC
instead of ASCII helped make IBM mainframe OS less penetrable to hackers.

Robert Galambos CIPP/C, CIPP/IT, IBM DB2 DBA for z/OS
Email:       rgalam...@gmail.com
Blog:        http://robertdataprivacytesting.blogspot.ca/
LinkedIn:    http://ca.linkedin.com/in/robertgalambos/

Objective: Senior Pre-Sales Technical Professional Consultant delivers
Client Satisfaction with Technical Expertise & Dynamic Energy

Skills: Implemented Data Privacy strategies and processes, product
positioning to achieve territory sales and increase market share within
managed care markets.
Sr. Pre-Sales Consultant with more than $2 MM sales yearly. Serviced,
retained, and expanded major accounts

Dedicated, Self-Starter, Dependable, 'Go to' person