A customer (mildly) complained thatsome of our product allocations still use BLKSIZE=3120. I vaguely remember trying to change all of them to BLKSIZE=0 many years ago (probably before OS/390) and running into some issues with certain IBM utilities. Unfortunately, I can't remember the specifics.

In starting to revisit this again, I noticed numerousoccurrences of '3120' in IBM help and documentation. For example, the TSO/E RECEIVE command HELP claims that the log data set must be BLKSIZE=3120:

<TSO/E RECEIVE command HELP>
LOGDATASET       You may specify an alternate data set to be
                 used for the logging of the transmitted data.
                 This data set will be created if it does not
                 exist.  The data set should be created with
                 a logical record length of 255, a record format
                 of VB and a blocksize of 3120.

LOGDSNAME        You may specify an alternate data set to be
                 used for the logging of the transmitted data.
                 This data set will be created if it does not
                 exist.  The data set should be created with
                 a logical record length of 255, a record format
                 of VB and a blocksize of 3120.
</TSO/E RECEIVE command HELP>

Is this just outdated help? Or does this restriction still exist?

is z/OS still a "mine field" filled with subtle dependencies on BLKSIZE=3120?

If such restrictions are known to still exist, can anyone help with any specifics?

Thanks in advance...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc