PDS 8.6 was the tool I used, but it was one of the special programs you had to compile and add to it for added function. I can't remember if the 2nd parameter had to be on the same line, or if it actually had logic to figure out if it was on the same DD card.

Going back a few weeks, I remember doing a LOT of tape sorting on a pair of 1410 computers. One had 4 tape drives, the other had 5. I know there were lots and lots of tape sorts then.

This company, which was a division of Philip Morris at the time, had an interesting choice they made shortly before I started. They had a sister company in NY. They were givin a choice of an old 360 Mod 50 (I think), or another 1410. They chose the 1410, as they wouldn't need to convert anything.

The 2 1410's actually shared a 1310 (I think) disk drive. You could only use it on 1 machined at a time, and had to do a reset before you could use it on the other one. The 1310 was between 2-3 feet in diameter.

Eric Bielefeld

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel C. Ewing" <jcew...@acm.org>

Perhaps PDS 8.6 was the CBT PDS search tool that was being remembered.
I think "find" is one of its many functions, but I don't remember if it
has the smarts to look for two strings that might be close together but
on different records.