On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:04:10 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>Back 40 years ago we sorted the name & address file everyweek and
>IIRC that was 40M records. Yes we used tape sort. It ran standalone
>(except for the onlines) they finally broke it down to several sorts
>and a merge as we didn't have tape/disk drives (can't remember the
>number off the top of my head  but I think 50 drives) it ran all day
>Sunday and night.

I should think that type of update should avail much performance because
the prior week's master file is already sorted.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 22:21:12 +0000, Campbell Jay wrote:

>Step 1 of 26 jobs that run weekly here... all virtual 3490.

If an application benefits by using virtual tape over (relatively) real
DASD for workfiles, it needs redesign.

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:53:35 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>Well, "real" SysProgs still think of it as SyncSort.  "MFX"!!! I
>remember being totally turned off by the name change.  Makes me think
>of a cross between MX missiles and Special Effects, not sorting.  No
>doubt the stupidity of some marketing neophyte who thought it would be
>"cute" to have a product name that didn't tell what the product did or
>what platform it was designed for!

The marketing neophyte failed to consider that some customers would be
tempted to play on YA pair of initials in that abbreviation.  (Makes me think
of the old all-purpose card handling equipment.)

-- gil