David Crayford wrote

<begin extract>
I programmed in PL/I professionally and IMO Pascal is a far cleaner
language with more expressive features
<end extract/>

and this is a sentiment that I marvel at.   I view Pascal as a toy, a
pedagogic language animated by very dubious principles.

What I think of Pascal and our disagreement are not themselves
important; but such differences strongly suggest that discussions of
the relative merits of different statement-level procedural languages
is an all but futile undertaking unless the context in which they are
to take place is specified in advance and in great, irksome detail.

Even then I suspect that differences of taste will make even modest
consensus impossible to achieve.

We are left with Justice Holmes's apothegm:

If you like diamonds and I like rubies we have just three options:
battle, compromise, or a jeweler who has both.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA