On 1/10/2013 7:51 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
David Crayford wrote

<begin extract>
I programmed in PL/I professionally and IMO Pascal is a far cleaner
language with more expressive features
<end extract/>

and this is a sentiment that I marvel at.   I view Pascal as a toy, a
pedagogic language animated by very dubious principles.

There are many versions of Pascal. Some better than others. The better ones are pretty damn good.
Object Pascal and Delphi are the case in point.

What I think of Pascal and our disagreement are not themselves
important; but such differences strongly suggest that discussions of
the relative merits of different statement-level procedural languages
is an all but futile undertaking unless the context in which they are
to take place is specified in advance and in great, irksome detail.

Even then I suspect that differences of taste will make even modest
consensus impossible to achieve.

We are left with Justice Holmes's apothegm:

If you like diamonds and I like rubies we have just three options:
battle, compromise, or a jeweler who has both.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA