As you have seen, the syntax rules for LPALST and comments do not follow
other comment functions.  This is probably due to where it is loaded and the
process has a very strict syntax for the process.

So depending on where you put your /* you could have lost many datasets that
were to be loaded by LPALSTxx.

>From the Manual

Syntax rules for LPALSTxx

z/OS V1R12.0 MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference SA22-7592-21

The following rules apply to the creation of LPALSTxx:
    Comments: On a line, data entered after the last data set name and the
optional comma continuation character is treated as a comment and ignored.

A /* is not a recognized comment line in the LPALSTxx member.  But you could
do

NAME1,
NAME2,
NAME3      this ends the list, anything that follows is a comment.
Comments follow here.

My two cents worth - IBM could clarify the comment process in LPALSTxx a bit
better as well as provide a nice sample of how to place comments in
LPALSTxx.

Lizette