My own experience is that teenagers, preternaturally  bright ones
admittedly, can learn to cope with what I shall limit myself to
calling the patina of antiquity.  (The phrase "encrusted patina of
antiquity" is euphonious; but encrustations obscure, very shortly
indeed destroy patinæ.)

What I miss in these discussions, or would miss if they were serious,
is any consideration of the strengths of z/OS.  For example, no Linux
or Unix that I am familiar with does record i/o at all well; and even
their stream i/o, which they certainly do better,  is much inferior to
the asynchronous stream i/o of z/OS PL/I.

Or again, z/OS is decimal orders of magnitude more reliable,
available, and secure than either Linux or Unix.

I do of course agree that z/OS is perceived to be boring, but that is
another question.

---jg