Jon Perryman wrote:

[ ... lots of interesting comparisions between z/OS and UNIX / Linux ... ]

Lets see, you wrote about disk management, Apps, CPU, Networking, Recovery,
WLM, etc. Cool comparisions. Now I know. Thanks! ;-D

Could you be kind to list the differences between these systems on Security?
z/OS has RACF (or other ESM). What do you use in UNIX / Linux / other world for
security? Audit trails? Product management? Intrusion detection? etc?

>* UNIX: Backup and recovery utilities exist but an admin is often required to
>perform recovery. In addition, recovery is often an interactive process (start
>request / mount tape then repeat).

What if the person responsible for this manual work has gone home to sleep?

>z/OS improvements often go unnoticed.

Indeed. Now and then a thread appears in IBM-MAIN about something which was
actually implemented/announced years ago without the OP knowing it or just
discovered it 'yesterday'. Example thread: BPX.DEFAULT.USER.

>This dinosaur hasn't died yet and probably won't in the near future.

Around 1990 and so when death of mainframe has been predicted [1], someone said
to me: The technology to completely replace big iron has not been in place
properly. Now, it is still, to my astonishment, somewhat true! Rather, new
things evolved in the meantime.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

[1] - I don't take any predictions seriously at all. I got tired/bored about
those 'predictions' at every end of decades that the world will end or
something like that.