elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za (Elardus Engelbrecht) writes:
> Around 1990 and so when death of mainframe has been predicted [1],
> someone said to me: The technology to completely replace big iron has
> not been in place properly. Now, it is still, to my astonishment,
> somewhat true! Rather, new things evolved in the meantime.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013n.html#16 z/OS is antique WAS: Aging Sysprogs =
Aging Farmers

mid-80s, top executives were predicting revenue would double (to
approx. $215B in today's dollars) mostly based on mainframe and
instituted massive internal building program to double mainframe
manufacturing capacity ... this was just at the start when things were
began to go in the opposite direction (and it wasn't exactly career
enhancing to point it out, also see previous post to the reference about
drop in disk sales and communication group stranglehold on the
datacenter).

early 90s, the company went into the red and top executives re-orged the
company into the 13 "baby blues" in preparation for breaking up the
company ... this was before the board brought in Gerstner to reverse the
breakup and resurrect the company (he refocused the company from
hardware products to services). The people in POK had been expecting to
be totally shutdown and were sending out email referencing "would the
last person to leave POK, please turn out the lights".

Mainframe sales have been running around $5B/annum (compared to the
prediction for $200B+) ... or the equivalent of approx. 180
max. configured z196.