From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: 06 November 2013 02:06
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Aging Sysprogs = Aging Farmers

>>> On 11/5/2013 at 12:54 PM, Ze'ev Atlas <zatl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Adopt the methodology of the Unix, Linux and Windows echosystems,
> abandon any assembly whatsoever, license C and write all code in that
language.

Not quite.  Performance critical sections are sometimes still written in
hand-crafted assembler, particularly in the Linux kernel.  If it weren't for
that, I would just as soon see the ability to embed assembler in C source
code be removed from GCC.  Putting assembler code in applications makes them
a real pain to port to different operating systems and architectures, and so
in general not cool.

Mark Post

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN