Dave:

I remember distinctly that UID's were limited to 7 characters.
One of the reasons was that UADS had a directory of 8 characters and the 8th character was reserved for UID's needing more space in UADS so a character was reserved (shaky here but the 8th character was either 0, 1 2 etc) to allow more space for accounting and password size and one or two other needs) So in effect the USERID was max 7 characters that allowed up to password and accounting info, region size and my memory is iffy, some other info). the account change command was difficult to work with as you might imagine I had several choice swear words a few times trying to change some field.
In summary
UID was 7 characters.
The eighth was reserved for UADS as either 0 thru 8

Ed