Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>Is the limit HLQ or TSO prefix?  On a quick glance, I don't see any catalogued
>data sets with an 8-character HLQ.  Do catalog services enforce a limit of 7?

No. Limit of 7 chars are for TSO ids only. Of course that limit are propagated
to datasets starting with TSO ids.

I could create/catalog/edit this example (all 3 qualifiers are 8 chars long):

(on my sandbox, after I created temp RACF profile ZOS12ZOS.*, and no this is
NOT my TSO id!)

Data Set Name . . . . : ZOS12ZOS.ELARDUSE.ZOS12ZOS

General Data                           Current Allocation
 Management class . . : MC....          Allocated cylinders : 1
 Storage class  . . . : SC...           Allocated extents . : 1
  Volume serial . . . : ...... +
  Device type . . . . : 3390
 Data class . . . . . : DC....
  Organization  . . . : PS             Current Utilization
  Record format . . . : FB              Used cylinders  . . : 1
  Record length . . . : 80              Used extents  . . . : 1
  Block size  . . . . : 27920
  1st extent cylinders: 1
  Secondary cylinders : 1              Dates
  Data set name type  :                 Creation date . . . : 2013/11/30
  SMS Compressible. . : NO              Referenced date . . : 2013/11/30
                                        Expiration date . . : ***None***

Some 3th party tools are using 8 char HLQ.

Now, off to delete all these on my sandbox. ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht