In <529cd1c5.9030...@tulsagrammer.com>, on 12/02/2013
   at 12:30 PM, Eric Chevalier <et...@tulsagrammer.com> said:

>I believe the issue some people are trying to address with a Unix
>catalog is the case where you DON'T know the full path.

A central repository won't solve that problem.

>I know it's called "stroganoff.txt"

Unless it's your only recipe, you've got a problem.

>Now suppose I have some sort of index file where the key is the
>unqualified file name and the data is the path to that file.

Such facilities already exist, without the need for a central
repository. They aren't very helpful for background scripts.

What I see as more helpful would be Multics-style search rules
(STEPCAT on steroids), but that still leaves the issue of getting the
right one when there are duplicates.