On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:

> In
> <CAJTOO58Xck4+UK5AnobEZ=kztcrte1azgmf86r77emdb0pj...@mail.gmail.com>,
> on 12/03/2013
>    at 06:53 PM, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> said:
>
> >My thought.  While you are typing a command with a partial Unix file
> >name, leave the cursor at the end of the file name and press a PF
> >key.
>
> Various *ix shells have file completion. Is there an open requirement
> for IBM to support it for an NVT login to OMVS?

NVT? I can use both/either ssh and/or telnet (line mode) to get a TCPIP
connection directly to a z/OS UNIX shell (no VTAM involved beyond the TRLE
which controls the OSA). The ssh connection is via OpenSSH (to which I
added the enhancements from Dovetailed Technologies). The telnet connection
is via the inetd UNIX daemon (started task). I don't know of any way to use
VTAM in "line mode", such as a 3767 LU-1 emulation, to get a UNIX shell,
but don't know why I would want to that either.

To start inetd at OMVS startup, I put a line in /etc/rc like:

_BPX_JOBNAME=INETD /usr/sbin/inetd /etc/inetd.conf &

and have a /etc/inetd.conf file containing the line:

2023 stream tcpip nowait BPXROOT /usr/sbin/otelnetd otelnetd -l -t -D login

I use port 2023 because, for some weird reason, we have port 23 going into
VTAM. This despite the fact that nothing is really using port 23 in VTAM.
Likely something "left over" from an IBM supplied member which I'm too much
of a coward to change.

/bin/sh can do a very primitive form of completion in "vi" mode wth the
ctrl-\ key. But it is a very poor implementation because once it expands to
the first non-matching character, it does not display the alternatives
possible at that point.

The ported BASH shell, although very old, does do file completion
"properly" via the TAB (^i) key.

--
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown