On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:

> In
> <caajsdjg7hhfkk5jwq7u9xytddqzfrk9jak2mculh5oogztq...@mail.gmail.com>,
> on 12/04/2013
>    at 11:09 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> said:
>
> >NVT?
>
> See TELNET PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION, RFC 854.

Thanks. I am not any kind of expert, but the "otelnetd" UNIX daemon that I
mentioned in a previous post in this thread _seems to me_ to implement this
fairly well. It works fine with both the Linux and Windows "telnet"
command. In our shop, this gets the user a z/OS UNIX shell environment
which is similar to a Linux shell prompt or a Windows "cmd.exe" prompt. In
my case, on the Linux side, before I do the telnet command, I do an "export
TERM=xterm". z/OS UNIX does not understand the "normal" TERM value of
"xterm-256color" set by the Konsole command shell which I use on Linux.

> --
>      Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
>      ISO position; see <http://patriot.net/~shmuel/resume/brief.html>
> We don't care. We don't have to care, we're Congress.
> (S877: The Shut up and Eat Your spam act of 2003)

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown