From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 2:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Learning Rexx (was: Need tutorial)

On 2013-12-28, at 10:21, Charles Mills wrote:

> The user-friendly interactive nature of CMS.

How would you rank CMS vis-a-vis Unix System Services by this criterion?
Before USS was available I tended to edit JCL on CMS with XEDIT; nowadays on
Solaris, often accessing legacy data sets with NFS.  NFS will deal with
PDSE; I suspect that CMS would have trouble ACCESSing a PDSE, and writing to
any legacy z/OS data set from CMS is questionable, as is catalog search.  I
use TSO/ISPF, now as earlier, largely for:

o SDSF
o DSLIST
o DDLIST
o Testing with a customer-like environment.

I keep one ISPF session active, and as many USS or Solaris as convenient;
I've never mastered WSA.

(and I have one EXEC that uses ISPF LMGET to process RECFM=U (by override)
data sets because EXECIO refuses to deal with U.  That's reported to get
better in 2.1.)

Rexx SYSCALL is a boon (or a least it spares me learning Perl).