Art,

Channels paths, ports, Front End Directors and ports are easy to map so that
locals can be allocated across every possible path.

The missing part of most strategies is understanding the parallelism from the
cache to the disk and array group. There are many schema available for RAID and
wide striping, and path boundaries within the storage to take advantage of (or
tie you up).

Spend some time with your vendor to understand exactly what you have and how
you can use it to maximize parallelism. For example on 2 chassis VSP you have
two separate set of disk paths behind each control frame, so male sure you page
datasets are spread across each chassis, either by way of the HDP pool
definition or the parity groups you use in basic volume mode.

Sorry for the Hitachi parlance, but it stresses the fact that you have to
design for the hardware you are using. An EMC methodology will not be best
practice for a DS8800, and an ESS methodology will not work on an Hitachi.

With the relative inactivity of page datasets, I would suggest one uniform rule
when tired storage is used would be to lock them into tier one storage. You
don't want the empty slots migrated down to SATA or external storage when they
suddenly get busy.

Ron