Why do you need to use DD:... for pax?  If you are going to use a REXX variable
in the DSN parameter, use the REXX variable in the pax command?  The use of a
DSN in the pax command is documented and supported.  I have not tried to use it
from REXX, but I have used it from the OMVS command line without problem
(except syntax issues getting the quotes and double quotes correct).

Lloyd