From:   Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   04/02/2014 03:43 PM
Subject:        Re: FREE DDNAME with concatenated datasets?
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:20:41 -0700, Skip Robinson wrote:

>CONCAT is not a standard TSO/E command. It's likely a Rexx or CLIST, in
>which case you can look at the code to see what it does. If it's an RYO
>command processor, you may not have the source.

I apologize for excessive brevity, indolence.  Earlier in the thread, I
said, more fully (still trimming here):
call BPXWDYN 'alloc dd(SYSLIB)  shr dsn(SYS1.MACLIB) msg(2)'
call BPXWDYN 'alloc rtddn(CAT1) shr dsn(SYS1.MODGEN) msg(2)'
call BPXWDYN 'concat ddlist(SYSLIB,'CAT1')           msg(2)'
Not Rexx, not CLIST, not RYO, source not available:

    Requesting dynamic concatenation
    z/OS Using REXX and z/OS UNIX System Services
    SA23-2283-00

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxb600/bpx1rx76.htm

>I agree with your earlier comment that handling concatenations may be
>different from single data sets because of the most likely usage of them.
>A concatenation is pretty useless unless you run a process that works on
>multiple data sets. The most common usage, SYSPROC/SYSEXEC, requires that
>specific DDNAME and would be meaningless with a system-generated DDNAME.
>OTOH there are some processes that require a data set (or volume) to be
>allocated under any random DDNAME; they just have to be allocated. In
>those cases--almost never a concatenation--a system-generated DDNAME is
>fine.

Hardly "pretty useless".  Lots of readers here have sometimes coded in
JCL:

    //SYSLIB  DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MACLIB
    //        DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.MODGEN

... without assigning a specific DDNAME to SYS1.MODGEN; equivalent to
what my Rexx sample(s) do.