On Fri, 2 May 2014 10:18:08 -0700, Jon Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Both SUPERC & SUPERCE support SEQ. For edit command COMP, you'll need to
>allocate DD SYSIN to a dataset containing�the SEQ option and specify the SYSIN
>option on COMP. It's silly that IBM ignores the edit bounds but such is life.

Aha!  I see.  Using SYSIN(/) on the COMPARE command allows you to specify a
dataset member with SuperC process statements.  So, a statement of

 CMPCOLM 1:72

does the trick as far as ignoring the sequence numbers.  Not SEQ as you say,
since that is a process option not a process statement (as I read it).

But, still this is a digression to having an IEBUPDTE alternative.