On 2014-05-02, at 12:04, Jousma, David wrote:

> As for your question, my suggestion is to instead of using IEBUPDTE
> statements, is to copy the entire source program, and make a SMPE usermod out
> of it with your changes added to it(sufficiently documented, of course).
> We already do this with a few IBM supplied source programs for TWS.   It's
> not too bad to manage, you just run the compare against your modified usermod
> with the new source to see whats changed, and then reapply your local
> modifications to the new version of the source in your usermod.

Replacing an elegantly automated process with a crude and
tedious manual one.  Sigh.

On 2014-05-03, at 22:26, Ed Gould wrote:

> I think this might be APARable. Its worth a try.

Party on, Wayne!

An alternative to IEBUPDTE is "patch", supplied by z/OS,
which does not require sequence numbers.  Patch is much
improved if you have "diff3", not supplied by z/OS, but
readily available elsewhere.

SuperC provides the UPDCMS8 option which produces DELTA
output in a form suitable for input to CMS UPDATE, and
UPDMVS8 which produces DELTA output in a form suitable
for SYSIN for IEBUPDTE.  UPDCMS8 requires only that the
OLD comparand have valid sequence numbers; UPDMVS8 requires
that both OLD and NEW have valid sequence numbers. YTF!?

Faced with this, I use the UPDCMS8 option, and have
written a fairly simple Rexx filter to tranform UPDCMS8
format to UPDMVS8.

-- gil