This has been an interesting thread. I rather like the escrow idea. For
smaller ISVs, I wonder if it would be helpful to integrate something like
"git" or "subversion" into their processing, with a secure (are there any?)
"off site" backup master. When a change is pushed to production, it would
update the local and backup master repository. The problem, of course, is
security of the backup repository. But then, most companies are worried
about other companies stealing their source. Do many "reputable" companies
hire "commercial espionage" hackers? I do know of a case - actually _two_
cases, but I don't think it would be wise of me to shoot off my mouth.

===

Say! Here's a neat sleep-deprived idea: In the above scenario, keep the
offsite repository in the NSA ultra-center in Utah! This would require a
"commercial" aspect to the NSA. But they're going to intercept and store
the information any way if it is transmitted on the Internet. This way
companies can help pay for the ultra-center, in addition to the U.S.
taxpayer. And the companies would have a fairly secure backup. Well,
ignoring the healthcare.gov fiasco, that is. Also, the U.S. Congress could
pass yet another Federal law about "interfering with software entrusted to
a U.S. government facility" (similar to interfering with the U.S. Mail).
They like passing this sort of legislation.

So do we all agree that I need more sleep?

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown