Amen!

The only thing I might quibble with in Tony's reply:

> Escrow agreements are generally part of the contract between vendor and
> customer, and require
> in turn that the vendor maintain an agreement with an acceptable escrow
> company. (In passing,
> there are fewer escrow companies now than there were say ten years ago.)
> Usually the customer
> has no direct relationship with the escrow company, and so -- as Charles
> Mills points out --
> will end up arguing with other creditors in bankruptcy court over the assets.

Mostly, I have seen three-party agreements, with the vendor, the agent and the
customer all as signatories.

But even if the customer is a signatory, I believe that a court would question
whether the agreement was "executory" -- subject to being torn up by bankruptcy.

Yes, there are fewer escrow agents than formerly. Consolidation, like in most
industries? Or have customers decided that escrow is not worth the hassle?

Charles