Just to add to Mitch's comments.
I was one of the developers of the said software that was given to our
competitor.
We held the software in Escrow with Iron Mountain, The software was mainly
z/OS assembler source/macros with the SMPE build code, SMPE APAR/PTF code.
We would also package the Install and User Guides (PDF) as a binary in XMIT
form.
We would send out a quarterly maintenance pack to customers and this
maintenance pack would also be transferred to a unique vault ID at Iron
Mountain.

When I had to bundle it up to deliver to our competitor, it was a simple
process to retrieve the Escrow and burn to DVD.

Our source control was SCLM, the  project definition and build source was
part of the Escrow bundle.

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 5:11 AM, zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could guess, but I'd recommend you don't. I don't believe it to be
> true, no matter what they claim.
>

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Mitch <mitc...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark:
> >
> > I absolutely agree.  And for the likes of the larger ISVs, I would guess
> > all of their product source code is in escrow and kept up to date.  Maybe
> > not so much for the "mom and pop" software companies, but the big ones,
> yes.

Wayne V. Bickerdike