From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 2:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Performance for DFDSS with ORACLE Tape Drives VSM5 ( was Change
tape block size)

Agreed. Low compression ratios will produce more "blocks" to actually be
written to the tape, elongating total application time.

<snip>

W dniu 2014-05-12 21:02, Staller, Allan pisze:
> It is my recollection that, pretty much since the advent of buffered
> tape drives (e.g. 3590, 9840,... ) the actual blocksize written to tape is
> independent of what is specified in the JCL.
>
> In other words, it does not matter what you code in JCL, the actual data
> block written to physical tape will be a hardware determined value.
Well, I performed some tests on various real and virtual drives.
Although the JCL DD BLKSIZE is not actual physical blocksize on the tape, but
the BLKSIZE still does matter.
What is also important, very important is compression ratio, but in real life
it depends on your data, so there is no much to tune here.

</snip>

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.