From:   "Hardee, Chuck" <chuck.har...@thermofisher.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   06/27/2014 03:28 PM
Subject:        Re: Local Time conversion to/from UTC Time
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

John,

I am in the process of writing a program that is reading several files.
Some of the files have dates in local and some have dates in UTC.
I want to be able to move between the two time bases as needed.
I don't envision the program reading files from differing time zones at
the same time, but the program could be reading files from any country in
the world.
Currently I'm concentrating on the US so a US based solution would be fine
for the moment.

Where I can't seem to get my head to go is related to Daylight Savings
Time (DST).
If, for instance, the locale is the east coast of the US, the UTC
adjustment would be -05:00, 05:00 UTC is 00:00 local. If the local time is
02:00 on the day of the switch in the spring, that's easy, subtract the
signed UTC adjustment from the local time and then add 1 hour. So, 02:00 -
(-05:00) - 01:00 = 06:00 UTC.
But, what if the local time is 01:59? One would subtract the signed UTC
adjustment from the local time and then??? So, 01:59 - (-05:00) = 06:59,
but what about Daylight Savings Time? The current local time being
adjusted is not with the DST range, but the adjusted time via the UTC
adjustment value is. Does DST come into play here? Is the decision based
on the local time or the resulting UTC time?

A similar question comes into play on the other end of the DST range. If
the local time is prior to the end of the DST range, does one subtract 1
hour from the adjusted time?

Finally, what about the other direction. If one has a UTC time value, what
are the rules governing the change to a local time with respect to DST?

I hope my explanation isn't too simplistic. Any thoughts or direction
might have that would help would be greatly appreciated. That also goes to
anyone else that might have some input.

Thanks,
Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
CCG Information Technology
Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275